A journey of one thousand, nine hundred and eighty seven point three miles by bike from Vancouver, B.C., to Mexico
Tune in often to hear musings and mumblings.

Monday, February 15, 2010

My Steed...Neigh! Nay? Neigh!

So, a little about the bike I'll be riding since, you know, I'll be on top one thousand, nine hundred and eighty seven point three miles (and likely more). We've made it this far! Also, strangely enough, I don't have a name for my bike. I'm taking suggestions! Please email them to donahueconnor@gmail.com. The more sexually suggestive, the better. I'm counting on all of you! I'll have the winning name tattooed across my skinny white butt.

In 2003, the summer before my junior year of highschool, I purchased a road bike, a Trek 1200, and have since logged nearly 9,000 miles on this machine. During this time, I've hit one car (though it wasn't my fault), crashed numerous times, and driven into a garage with my bike still on top of my car. Also, I accidentally rode down a freeway entrance ramp and onto I-39, and had to throw my bike over a chain link fence, and then climb after it, to safety. I cut my leg pretty badly doing this...and this was really the only time I've ever actually spilt blood while biking. Even when I hit the car, and flew over my handlebars, bouncing off of the windshield, I came out unscathed, as I somehow landed on my feet. Amazing! I wish someone had caught it on camera. This should fit in my biography nicely between my formative years as an aspiring Judo master, and my latter years as a washed up, wheelchair bound water color painter.

Anyway, this bike is a road bike geared towards racing, not a touring bike, so I'm a at a little bit of a disadvantage as far as being able to carry a lot of gear with me. But, I'm OK with this, since I'm trying to pack lightly. I'm estimating that I'll have around thirty pounds of stuff with me, most of which I'll regret bringing but will be too stubborn to get rid of. I've purchased a rack for the rear of the bike, and all of my gear will be contained in two panniers, or strapped to the top of the rack. I also have a small daypack, which holds about two liters of water, plus some food, my pump, a spare tube, patch kit, etc. It's literally me and the horse I rode in on!

Today, I spent quite a bit of time overhauling my bike. I passed an exciting hour lubing my balls...that is, lubing the ball bearings in the wheel hubs. This was pretty difficult, since I had no idea what I was doing, and lacked the proper tools for the job. I think I did it right...I also took the headset apart, lubed and adjusted it, and installed new brake pads. Tomorrow I'll be cleaning the frame, chain, derailleurs, brakes, and repacking the derailleur pulleys with new grease. I've also installed a headlight and taillight, both of which offer fun disco flash modes, so I'll be both visible and stylin' as I roll down the road (though I'm not planning on any night riding, my experience with my friend Paul on the La Sal Mountain Loop Road has taught me the value of having a light when it's dark out...ask me about it sometime! Quebecois mountain bikers laughing at us from their Audi, stuffing newspapers and national park brochures down the front of my jersey, overdosing on caffeinated clif shots...nothing like Utah adventure! When the beer is all 3.2%, one gets creative in devising fun).

I'm a little worried about the added weight on my bike (panniers and rack, along with my recently acquired grecian muscles), and how it will affect the way my bike handles, as well as the increased potential for breaking a spoke on the rear wheel, which would be a big hassle. At the bike shop today, I was told to "make sure I know where all of the bike shops are along the route," since this isn't a repair I'd be able to do myself without specialized (i.e. expensive and heavy) tools. I think I'll cross my fingers and hope to hitch a ride if I get stuck somewhere.

Once my bike looks shiny and cared for, I'll take some photos. At the moment, it is in a sorrowful condition, blemished with salt, grime and RUST from my marathon 28 hour drive from Utah to MN in ice/snow storm. Yeah...hopefully I'll take better care of my future offspring? Ladies, I'm the man for you: I promise to scrub rust from our children in a timely manner.

Well, thanks for sticking with me while I geek out about my bike. It's definitely in my top five favorite possessions, alongside my fly rods, Carhartts, my collection of vintage victorian tea table doilies, and my thermal underwear (in both black and blue to complement the man purse I'll be toting on a particular day).

Otherwise, besides getting greased up in the garage, I've been skiing, eating lots of free food from my parent's pantry, seeing Charlie Parr play live, twice! (the most awkward/awesome bluegrass guitarist/banjoist/mandolinist player alive). I'm also attempting to keep two bonsai trees alive, apply for jobs, trim my toenails, and conclude a long running argument with myself: does Grain Belt taste exactly like Miller High Life?

I think this has been my longest post to date, so congratulations on getting to the end. Get those bike name suggestions to me ASAP. No holds barred, the dirrrtier, the better. Suggestions can also be taped to a case of New Glarus beer, and personally delivered to my door, along with a pizza.

Be safe, be well.

1 comment: