A journey of one thousand, nine hundred and eighty seven point three miles by bike from Vancouver, B.C., to Mexico
Tune in often to hear musings and mumblings.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

On the Road: Iowa and South Dakota


Well, it's official, loyal followers, I'm on my way. I'm currently sitting in Amy Buechler's kitchen in Rapid City, South Dakota, contemplating whether to take a nap when I'm done posting. I just might.

I began by visiting two friends from college, who are now engaged (congrats, guys!) and living in Iowa City, where we discussed the practicality of me using a catheter on my bike tri
p. I enjoyed sleeping on their leather (pleather?) couch, and then discovered that I'd received my first ever parking ticket from the City of Iowa City (you can take my 15 dollars and use it to hire a consultant to tell you to just refer to your city as Iowa City). After weeping uncontrollably for several seconds, I got in my car and drove to Rapid City, where I am now sitting. Along the way, I laughed quite hard at a billboard advertising a local mechanic's shop. The billboard proudly said: "24 Hour Toe Service." There were two of these billboards. Maybe he was one of America's few remaining licensed toe mechanics.

Then, I entered an impenetrable fog cloud, and drove more or less blindly for the remaining three hundred miles. It got worse as I went on, and soon I couldn't see billboards, mileage signs, the other lanes of the interstate, nor more than forty feet in front of me. Luckily, I was born with a rare condition known as echolocationitis, so I used my bat like powers to navigate the pea soup.

I discovered that my bike had been ensconced in a layer of ice.


Well, South Dakota's Black Hills are pretty beautiful, and I think I'll go stand on Amy's deck and look at them. (Thanks for letting me crash at your casa, Amy! and for taking me to the poop covered soccer field of your youth where we threw a poop covered frisbee at one another).

Behave yourselves.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about your epic bike based adventure! Good luck and don't freeze to death. That ice on your wheels looks pretty deadly, but I assume you won't be going as fast as the car that drove you up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved having you! Sorry about the mean Iowa City Parking Police! Best of luck to you and your catheter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CITY of iowa CITY parking ticket and poop park. your trip is gonna be epic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad's suggestion for your bike name is.............The Venerable Red Scow.
    We feel as if we are riding right along side of you without all of the physical discomforts! Call sometime!
    Luv, Your Mum

    ReplyDelete